Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Planning our week

I really do love when a system comes together. Sometimes, it just takes awhile.

When we started homeschooling, I knew I wanted to use workboxes. No hunting for books, notebooks, supplies. Keep it simple. I didn't care for shoe boxes, so I opted for drawers. I didn't like dumping finished work in a bin(things get wrecked), so we just put things back in the drawer. I didn't like the time it took restocking them, so I made the drawers static.  Is it workboxes anymore? I think so, just modified.

Last year, I designed my planner. It worked great. I tackled all the issues I didn't like about the planners I was using, and made my own. It will evolve year to year, but doesn't everything?

This summer, I have a few tasks to tackle

This week it's about getting dd9 organized. Sure, I have her workboxes ready for her, but it's not perfect.

Earlier this week, I dealt with the issues of the schedule strip. I didn't care for all the velcro, it seemed tedious, and I still needed to write out all the assignments. Why not combine it? I don't need to deal with the littles messing around with the velcro labels.  And her 'schedule strip' or rather 'Today's plan' is combined, it has her detailed assignments, her schedule and anything else for her day. Perfect.

Today's project...

Since the daily stuff is handled, now it's time to work on short term plans, somethings that dd9 can participate in, as somethings aren't school related but needs to jog her memory to get it done.  Agenda's have never really worked for me or my older girls, so I decided to tackle this a little differently. I loved how the folder for 'Today's Plan' worked out. I decided that I should continue with that stream. 

 
We took a 2nd folder. Labeled it 'What's happening?' 
 Inside, I labeled it Mon-Friday. I'm thinking I should have a weekend spot, but not sure. I may need to modify it as we go.   Then I have 3 extra labels: Next week, In 2 Weeks, and Next month. 


Voila, a format which allows dd9 to participate in her planning.  It gives her some ownership of her week, some responsibility in getting some of those odd things done - she wants to paint, or sew, not part of our homeschool, just a hobby, but she sometimes gets upset when she forgets. It will give her the ability to create her own reminders. 

 When I lay out her next day's work, I can grab this folder and transfer the relevant stickies, or have her check each morning. This will also act as a graphic organizer for projects. This will also be used during our Monday meetings, we'll make stickies for her Elive, online assignment due dates, etc. We'll work together on her project planning and plot it out. I think this will be a fabulous tool. I think this is the transitional step to having an effective daytimer. I love the simplicity of sticky notes. It's easy to transfer, make changes, and plan with. 

I think I'm becoming a sticky note addict!

No comments:

Post a Comment