Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring is coming!!!

I cleaned up our front yard planters yesterday. Along the house there is minimal snow, so I took off the winter decor I had still on them.  The earth in those planters is thawed, I'll soon be able to put flowers in! I'm so excited to see new life breathed into our yard after a long winter.

Won't that be a sight? 3 to 4 feet of snow and planters over flowing with blooms?

Preparing for spring got me thinking.


Spring is a fresh start, new life. Soon we will celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. My girls are very excited, once that occurs they will be starting their own 'new life'. They will be taking a class, Rite of Christian Initiation of Children.  After years of searching and struggling with what I wanted vs what I really needed(and it isn't always the same thing), I've made my decision and the kids are excited. I am going home to the Catholic Church.

We went to mass this Sunday. I had been nervous to go. It had been a seriously long time since I'd attended a Catholic mass that wasn't a funeral.   But it felt right.  In all the churches I've explored, that I've attended as I explored where I wanted to be, I always felt like the outsider. This is said with no disrespect, there were beautiful ceremonies, inspiring sermons and touching testimonies.  In each church,I gained something, learned something new.  The congregants were welcoming, the preachers kind and reached out to me in times of need. I have utmost respect for these people.  But I  didn't feel it was were I needed to be.

This Sunday  felt right. Was it comfortable and easy? No, but it was comforting.  I know this is where I need to be! There is something soothing about the rituals of the Catholic church. It isn't 'spectacular' and a huge production; it's not modern. But like a small child wanting that sameness, that need for routine, and repetition,  to read that same story book at bedtime over and over again, Catholic mass offers that to ones spirit.  There are no surprises, there is tradition, ritual even routine in the service that I felt I'd forgotten I needed, or maybe until now, I'd never knew I needed it.

So, soon my 3 girls will be baptized, all 3 will received their first communion, the eldest 2 will be confirmed.

I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment