Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Think Outside the Box(well, maybe in is better, in this case)

From the moment we started to homeschool, we were familiar with the Work Boxes(Sue Patrick) method of organizing. I was introduced to it before our final decision was made to homeschool.

We started with Workboxes right from the beginning. Our lives are very busy, so the more organizational tools we can use to keep us on track, the better.

We have tried a couple things to use as workboxes.

I tried magazine holders. But many of our books didn't fit in the magazine holder, they had a tendency to tip as well. So that was scrapped.

We then moved on to try something like a pocket organizer. We used a binder with pocket dividers. It worked ok. It took little space, but we couldn't include text books, teacher guides, supplies. So better, but not the ticket for us.

I bit the bullet and got carts with drawers. I like to try and keep things tidy, I'm wondering if there is such a thing with homeschool. There is always a project happening! I had hoped to use Rubbermaid ones, for the clear drawers, but I couldn't get any locally. So I ended up with the scrapbook store types. They aren't perfect, as I couldn't get one in 12" width, but they work quite well over all. What I didn't realize, is that I'd have probably liked the 20 drawer as opposed to a 10, but space was an issue. This is working fine though. I have put 3 of our magazine holders on top to give us a couple extra boxes.



This was the first official school day of grade 2! She was so into it. She was nearly done at 10 am :) And we had 8 boxes!



She insisted she needed a school desk. It's so tiny, there just isn't enough room to hold a pencil box, so we adopt a kitchen chair to give her more work space by holding other things.



Over just a few days, our system has evolved a little bit. To what we are currently using. You can't see the velcro on our drawers because I found black at the dollar store that sticks awesomely! For $1 I'm getting 15 of each the hook and loop. Can't complain.

The boxes are working so well for dd6. Now to get into the groove for the older two. I have to admit, I haven't used the concept with them at all. They are using a school curriculum that wasn't handpicked by me, so I'm not familiar. I have to make time to do so.

The system is so customizable to make it work for no matter who you are! I really can't think of who it wouldn't work for. It is really just a way to focus your day and make it count. Less time wasted searching for something. It's there, in the box, ready to go. So much less stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment