Saturday, September 11, 2010

Let's get ready to rumble!

I've been debating for months on whether or not I should start a blog. I've seen some absolutely fabulous blogs out there, they cause the perfectionist in me to scream: DON'T DO IT! YOU'LL FAIL!

Well, I battled my inner perfectionist and decided that I'll do it anyway.

About me: I'm a mom of 4. Ages ranging from 16 down to a tender 6. I've been blessed to be a SAHM, from the time my eldest was 2. Although a SAHM, I'm also a WAHM. We do what we must to survive. I live in Western Canada with my kidlets, hubby, 2 dogs, 4 geckos and a tank or 2 or 3 of fish :)

We are just beginning our adventures in homeschooling and have many years to grow into it.

This is our story:

In April 2010, we did an emergency extraction from a local school. Our 11yo was being horribly bullied and it had gone way to far. The school would not work with us on trying to fix the situation. Their solutions just singled out our child. So we pulled the 11 yo along with our 6yo from the school.

Are we ever glad we did!

Once we brought them home, it became apparent that their education was seriously lacking in many areas. In fact, the youngest revealed, as weeks went by, that the teacher would never help her, never answer her questions. My daughter was a shy child to start with, so she wasn't disruptive, and as a result didn't get the help she desperately required. The older daughter had gaps in her education as well. So for the 3 months remaining in that school year our focus was math and reading. Reading and more reading.

Over this period, our 13 yo daughter started wondering if maybe she wanted to homeschool as well, she saw the fun projects her younger sisters were working on. She saw that they slept later, that they weren't leaving the house at 7 am to catch the bus. BUT she was positive she'd miss her friends. She was really torn. As much as she enjoyed her friends, she didn't enjoy the drama a school setting provided. The bullying by both peers, elders and teachers. Her major reason for the hesitation was she really enjoyed participating in school sport teams. As a family, we discussed, and we found a community basketball league, and the deal was sealed. She would be my 3rd homeschool student.

So this fall, homeschool started with THREE students. Mom is having a crash course in lesson planning and organization. It's a whole new dynamic to my day.

We are into week 3 on Monday. I am feeling a little scattered, it's busy, I'll admit. But I love having my girls around me! They are growing so fast.

Now, notice I only homeschool 3 kids. My eldest is in high school and quite content to remain there. And that is ok. He's doing fabulous, he's quite studious overall, so we have no concerns, and he'd be quite resistant to working with mom; just our personalities, we clash sometimes. For us, it is likely best he remain in school...lol. He'd be overwhelmed by female hormones if he stayed home, or that is his excuse anyway.

That is us in a nutshell. Hopefully, I'll be posting frequently, and building a blog that is fun to read. If nothing else, it'll document our crazy lives and our homeschool journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment