Saturday, January 29, 2011

Getting with the program

We are still a novice homeschooling family. I am approaching 1 full year soon. So we are still learning as we go.

I have struggled hard this year keeping on track. Getting sick for over 2 months didn't help. Then having difficult children on occasion also didn't help.

I started last year with the workbox idea. Great idea, not practical for me. This fall I found the filesystem thread on the Well Trained Minds Forum and LOVED it! I went hard organizing our files. But in the end it didn't work for me either. I was going to blend it with the Workbox system.
Read more »

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to comb bind the Writing with Ease pages and I like the idea of putting stickers on the cover as well. Sounds like you have found many great uses for your comb binder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have blended what works for your family into your own system and how each child is a little different from each other. It sounds as though you have really had a very successful first year, you should feel proud of your accomplishments. We are in our 4th year of HS and I have discover this year the power of the sticker chart as well...go figure? Through a hooked on phonics package we did that had a sticker chart path reward system... he added a sticker each time he completed an exercise...and he absolutely loved doing these exercises and adding his sticker each day...who knew at 10 years old he would still enjoy the sticker reward system...we are using this for many different things now and it is working great!
    Never underestimate the power of the sticker!!! LOL
    You have encouraged me...I too have a lost blog that I need to be finding...perhaps later today :)
    Happy Sunday!
    Blessings Tammany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found a system that works. We started with workboxes a couple of years ago and have evolved into our own system too. I have an unused comb binder sitting in the basement. You've made me start thinking about how I could be using it....
    Janet W
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! The comb binding looks like a great way to organize all those papers floating about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete